Natural Stone Restoration Alliance

Go Back   Natural Stone Restoration Alliance > Consumer & Non-registered Lounge > Consumer Help

User Infomation
Your Avatar

Advertisement
Hands On Stone Repair Class Past Class

Partner Links

Advertisement
lustro italiano discount

Hairline Crack in Granite--Old Installation

Consumer Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Consumer

Hairline Crack in Granite--Old Installation

I recently discovered a hairline fissure in our 3cm Rosa Beta granite. Yes, it is in front of the sink, and No, it was not rodded. I am comfortable though that it was installed properly about 18 months ago and it may be due to some settlement or seasonal movement of the cabinets, and floor joists. Further, when I put a straight edge across the damaged area, there is a slight "hump" so I know that there is some deformation taking place.

The overall piece is extremely large and there is nothing to be gained by doing anything but on onsite repair. Right now the fissure is about one inch long, starts at the counter edge and does not appear to be of any consequential depth. Both sides of the fissure are even and there is only an extremely slight discontinuity that one can find only be looking carefully with the light glancing off the surface. The overhang is about 1-1/2 inch, the remaining front rail is fine and is supported by the cabinet edge and the undermount sink rim. I assume the bottom side of the stone is under compression due to the "hump", and assuming there is no further movement, all things should hopefully remain static.

How should I monitor this? I am comfortable that the installation was done properly although I was annoyed that they did not "rod". Despite that, the shimming, handling and seams were done extraordinarily well and I don't think calling back the installer after 18 months is going to help.

If the fissure deepens or lengthens, is the preferred repair to widen it to a suitable depth and use an epoxy filler. Luckily Rosa Beta is easy to work since it's coloration is so variable that, if it is finished well, it will not show.

Please--no "I told you so's on the rodding" Not sure that this would have ocurred anyway.

Thanks for reading.

David
View Fix2Relax's Photo Album Fix2Relax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Instructor

Send a message via MSN to Huligar Send a message via Skype™ to Huligar
Re: Hairline Crack in Granite--Old Installation

WOW David, it is not often that Home Owner bring us all the information that we need.
From your post I feel you may be the type of person that could make this simple repair and stop the spread of this fissure.
Here is what can be done
[media]http://www.nsraweb.com/gallery/data/503/ca.wmv[/media]
View Huligar's Photo Album Huligar is offline   Reply With Quote

To provide quality natural stone care, restoration and maintenance through a network of qualified natural stone professionals.
Please do not PM me for support. Please request help on the forums.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Consumer

Thanks for the compliment. I learned a tremendous amount from the Stonepowerhouse forums, where, I believe I saw your name as well. Also had a few lively chats with Maurizio. I suppose I should kick myself for the rodding but I am still not convinced that my problem would not have occurred. I often wonder whether a less than expert fabricator ought to be mucking around on the backside of an expensive slab of granite.

Anyway I suspected that the CA repair was a good way to go but I wondered if there was a technique that involved injecting the CA under pressure. Are we talking plain old superglue here or is there a special version to be used? Clearly the lowest viscosity, the better to get some flow into the fissure.

Is the torch segment part of a different technique for stains that have occurred at fissures? Remember the steak that was cooked on the granite as part of a demo to show heat resistance? Unfortunately I tried to heat up a granite tile that was part of a furniture inlay that was not located properly to soften the adhesive, used Bonstone t-2000 epoxy on a plywood substrate. Apparently epoxy adhesive is not affected by heat, and the tile cracked! Good excuse to dig out the tile and start again.

Nice chatting with you.

David

Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

you get the first award of the year for the customer who actually knows and cares about their stone. for the CA glue, i buy mine at a hobby shop where they sell model cars. im not sure about stone supliers but you can get some CA at the hobby shop that is as thin or thinner than water, and will harden just the same with the accelerator.

the fact that there is a "hump" instead of a "dip" tells me that there is indeed movement, and may be the consequence of the setting material or the substrate. how close is the dishwasher to the area? ive seen dishwashers wreak havoc on countertops when not properly accounted for. the steam will swell the substrate and it will expand and contract and finally something will give. honestly dont believe that a rod would have prevent this particular occurance, so stop kicking yourself. if you had a "dip" in the area of question, on the otherhand, kick away.
View cheesedog's Photo Album cheesedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Instructor

No need for me to echo cheesedog.
the heating of the stone to remove the green tint from the stone is a very very bad idea.
David, did you install this top? You have a lot of detail information that most home owners do not care to have.
Stone power house, the good old days. i have not been on that forum for years, in fact I have not been on that site since they lost all the files and had to start that forum all over.
If you like the pictures of the steak you would have love the video of the eggs cook one natural stone and the man made stuff. we than serve it to the dogs, and guess which one the dog did not eat. lol

To provide quality natural stone care, restoration and maintenance through a network of qualified natural stone professionals.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

I will echo what Cheesedog said about the CA just add a bit - you can get colorants which you can add to the CA bottle and shake well - use white for sure with the rosa beta or white with a touch of grey. Mix the color before applying the ca (use the super thin) to the crack and let sink in. Do not use the accelorator but let the CA kick in its own time then use a nice fresh razor to shave the excess off when fully cured. Just be patient as you want as much CA to sink into the fissure as possible.

Rodding would not have stopped the fissure from happening in a stress situation ( unlevel tops or settling cabinets ) - It will only stop the stone from completely coming apart at the fissure.
View Topshop's Photo Album Topshop is offline   Reply With Quote

One man can do it all with the help of his peers.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Consumer

Thanks gentlemen--

I feel much better about this. Cheesedog, the dishwasher is close by, but since this is 3cm granite there is no substrate to swell. I have had some floor issues so I am pretty sure that it was floor movement. Makes me wonder, ceramic and tile floors require serious underlayment, but the same ought to go for flooring that is under cabinets supporting granite, again, because of the weight and lack of resilience. With all the granite retrofits, I suppose you see this a lot.

Topshop, I don't think I will need to colorize the CA, the fissure is so tight that there is no need to add color, especially since the Rosa Beta is mottled to start. And thanks all for the reassurance about the rodding.

I have this need to know all about things, and I found the whole story of getting granite from the quarry to the kitchen absolutely fascinating. Had a long chat with Maurizio about the lack of standards, especially in the context of resined granite, and the sealing issue. It is a shame that Stonepowerhouse lost their files, they were an excellent resource but I am glad that this new site was established.

I am currently building a base for a 48-inch round glass top table that will all be clad in granite tile. Using AB to cover the central column, and a combined inlay of Rosa Beta and AB for the top and bottom, with ebonized ash trim. The woodworking to create the carcass was fun, but cutting the tile with the compound cuts to fit the octagonal column, top and bottom, was quite an experience. I will post pictures when I am done in a few weeks.

Regards,
David

Old 01-18-2008, 07:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

I would love to see the table when its done - sounds great.
View Topshop's Photo Album Topshop is offline   Reply With Quote

One man can do it all with the help of his peers.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

even though it is 3cm (we dont use 3cm so correct me if im wrong) a combination of the moisture and the heat/steam coming from the dishwasher can contribute to this over a period of time.
View cheesedog's Photo Album cheesedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Instructor

Cheesedog, the simple answer is yes.
The conditions that you just describe will cause condensation. The water can tan be absorbed by the wood and in time can cause mold and warping in the wood which than buckle under the weight of the 3 cm slab a cause for the breaking of your seams. The best way to stop this, is to seal your wood correctly and not to use that cheap wood like stuff you get from the big box stores. The stone is not the problem, the problem is what you but the stone on. So the best advice you could ever give some one, is to plan for the results you are looking for.